Friday, November 2, 2007

VALUING LIFE AMIDST DEATH & DESPAIR

SANTO TOMAS, Guatemala—So, I did it. Yesterday, despite much reservation, I accepted an invitation to travel with my host family to the gravesides of their relatives and friends to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. Quite frankly, I was in no mood for tears and gloom. The last time I stood at a graveside, I was shoveling rich red dirt unto the coffin of my Zulu homestay sister, Celiwe. My spirit was in search of a revival, and I could not see how remembering the dead would provide the renewal I so desperately craved. I abandoned reluctance and went to the cemetery because I wanted to stretch my cultural sensibilities, overcome my fears and experience a new religious phenomenon. Moreover, I wanted to see how Pentecostals would respond to this longstanding religio-cultural celebration.

Now that I am back home indulging in the sinful goodness of sweet pineapples and watermelons, I can truly say that I am glad I journeyed to the local cemetery. I learned a valuable life lesson: to appreciate and honor life amidst death, disappointment and despair.

4 comments:

Jill said...

JR,
I found you! I'm so enjoying reading about your journey! Take care,
Jill ( nightowl)

Sarata Toriola said...

I'm so glad that you're taking great cultural leaps. I'm with you all the way (on the Eastern Hemisphere, that is). Take Care and Good Luck!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Once again D, you are doing it. Stepping outside of your boundaries and becoming even more open minded and aware of new cultures.