Friday, February 15, 2008

YO, WAT'S ON? WAT, SON?: A WATSON ON FIRE!!!

Can I just gloat and ramble for few minutes? Can a brother express his love for this Watson journey? Can I tell you how it warms my heart, thrills my soul and keeps me hungry for more? Can I confess how I have grown content with confusion and how I have found clarity in contradictions? Is it alright if I boldy acknowledge the unfailing love of Christ--the force of change that sweeps over my soul daily? Will you permit me to share with you the transformative, quickening, mountain-top experiences that leave me desperate for the more of Jesus and the world? Can I tell you about the fire--the burning that pierces doubt, rends evil, destroys hypocrisy and leaves a settled peace deep within? Do you know of the burning--the unquenchable Spirit of Truth that searches every crevice of your soul, healing wounds, stirring passions and leaving you ablaze for days? Good God, can I get an Amen!?!

May I have the room the be real with you about the lows--the moments when I think I'm all alone, times when I grow frustrated, perplexed and confused? Can I tell of the days when I long for my mother's strong arms, my father's wisdom, my brother's laughs and my sister's mouth-watering food? Can I be real about the days when I spot fine, beautiful sisters--moments when my flesh says AMEN, but my spirit entreats me to trust in God? Can I tell about the days when I yearn for restoration to my own church, its members and leaders? Will you permit me to recount the troubling moments in my past--days when I went to school without food in Jamaica, times when I could feel the hot concrete on my feet as the soles of my shoes said goodbye? Do you know what it is to pray and cry to God until you stomach is full--full of eternal love, full of a dream that somehow things will get better, full of the assurance that you will help to make things better for others, full of a hope that one day this robe of flesh shall drop and my spirit shall rise, soar and never die. May I be truthful about the days when I question God, my faith, the world, and even my very existence?

Can I tell you how my spirit finds renewal in the simple things in life: the smile of a child, lush greenry and the humming breeze? Can I tell you how the sun speaks through time and space, telling me that I am "solo, but never alone?" Can I tell how the Scriptures ring out clearly, "Never will I leave you nor forsake you?"

Oh, dear friends, the Watson is really a 'test of fire' for me. But even so, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Fire, Fire, Fire,
jr

2 comments:

Lotus Blossom said...

yes, yes, yes! yo! you turned me into your groupie.

Orpheus' thoughts said...

wow! Honestly Derron, you should look into writing a book about your experiences. You're an amazing writer. Additionally, you have memorable stories to tell that various individuals can relate to. Keep 'em coming!